Frequently Asked Questions
- Graduate Council Thesis/Dissertation Fellowship—January—Open to any MA or MFA writing a thesis or PhD who has begun writing a dissertation. Letter from thesis/dissertation director required.
- Excellence in Teaching—October—Open to all MAs, MFAs, and PhDs who have taught at least 4 semesters.
- Excellence in Research—October—Open to all MAs, MFAs, and PhDs.
- Outstanding Service Award—October—Open to all MAs, MFAs, and PhDs.
- Buford Boone Teaching Fellowship—February—Open to PhD students who have successfully passed their preliminary exam and oral dissertation conference.
- GC Summer Research Fellowship—April—Graduate School award offered only if money is available.
- Strode Summer Research Grants—April—Open to all MAs, MFAs, and PhDs. Contact the Director of the Hudson Strode Program.
- Henry Jacobs Summer Travel Fellowship—March—Requirements not yet set up.
Yes, the department has use of the Henry E. Jacobs Fund and the Miriam Locke Scholarship to help with travel/research expenses. The Jacobs fund was established in 1986 by friends and colleagues of Dr. Jacobs to provide travel and publication funds for graduate students in English. The Locke fund was established in 2000. It provides support of professional travel for graduate students in English. The priorities are: 1) travel to MLA for scheduled interview; 2) professional travel to places vital for dissertation research (libraries, archives, etc.); 3) travel to conferences for presentation of a research paper. The Graduate School, Capstone International Programs, the SGA, and EGO are all sources of information for additional support. The department also requests matching funds from the Graduate School.
No, the English Department does not offer summer GTA lines, but there are other summer opportunities for graduate students.
No, but if you held a GTA line or fellowship during the preceding semester you are eligible for in-state tuition rates.
All students accepting department support will be asked to complete a teaching request form to be returned the week after academic advising. On the form students are asked to list their class schedule for the upcoming semester. We try to give special consideration on days and times for those students who commute. Assignments are subject to change. Faculty and instructors are given priority.
They can be downloaded from graduate.ua.edu. Graduate students should refer to this website often, especially the semester they are scheduled to graduate.
Yes, the Graduate School makes available a booklet called "A Student Guide to Preparing Theses and Dissertations". It may be picked up at the Graduate School or in the Graduate Studies office. The Graduate School also offers periodic workshops.
Yes, Capstone International offers limited funding for non-study abroad international activities related to students' degree programs. Download the Capstone International instructions and application form.