Dr. Brian Phillip Whalen
- Ph.D. State University of New York at Albany, 2015
- M.F.A. Iowa State University, 2009
- M.A. James Madison University, 2007
- B.A. Hobart and William Smith Colleges, 2001
- Creative Writing
- Contemporary American Literature
Brian is a Full-Time Instructor in the English Department at the University of Alabama, where he teaches creative writing, first-year writing, and American Literature.
His debut collection of short fiction, Semiotic Love [Stories], was named one of the Best Books of 2021 by Kirkus Reviews. His second book, In Each Breath a Darkness [a memoir], will be published in 2024. His work can be found in The Southern Review, Creative Nonfiction, Copper Nickel, Lit Hub, Poets.org, and elsewhere, and in several anthologies, most recently The Southern Poetry Anthology, Volume IX: Virginia.