Dr. Michael Seth Stewart
- (205) 348-3204
- 2 Rowand-Johnson Hall
- PhD, Graduate Center of the City University of New York, 2014
- M.A., New York University, 2007
- M.F.A., University of Memphis, 2000
- Post-War American Poetry
- Critical Theory
- 19th Century American Literature
I am a graduate of The University of Alabama’s New College, and completed my PhD in English literature at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, working on the 20th century “New American” lyric poet John Wieners. At CUNY I studied 19th & 20th-century American poetry and philosophical prose and taught writing, literature, cultural theory, American studies, and film & television studies in several different colleges of the CUNY system. My research interests include mid-century poetics, psychoanalytic and poststructuralist theory, and the religious-philosophical literature of Puritan and antebellum New England.
- For the Voices: The Letters of John Wieners, University of New Mexico Press, forthcoming 2020.
- Stars Seen in Person: Selected Jounrals of John Wieners, City Lights Books, September 2015.
- Seven Letters by John Wieners, edited with an introduction for Poetry, June 2015.
- The Sea Beneath the House: The Correspondence of John Wieners and Charles Olson, Lost & Found: The CUNY Poetics Documents Initiative, Series III, 2012.