- PhD, Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, University of Arizona, 2015
- MA, TESOL and Applied Linguistics , University of Alabama, 2011
- Corpus-assisted discourse analysis
- Corpus-assisted language teaching and learning
- Technology for second/foreign language teaching and learning
Robert Poole earned his PhD in second language acquisition and teaching from the University of Arizona in 2015 and his MA in applied linguistics from the University of Alabama in 2011. His research focuses on corpus-aided discourse study, the use of corpora in language teaching and learning, and ecolinguistics.
- Poole, R. (2022). Corpus-Assisted Ecolinguistics. Bloomsbury.
- Poole, R. (2021) A corpus-aided study of stance adverbs in judicial opinions and the implications for English for legal purposes instruction. English for Specific Purposes, 62, 117-127.
- Poole, R. (2020). “Corpus can be tricky”: Revisiting teacher attitudes towards corpus-aided language learning and teaching. Computer-Assisted Language Learning. DOI: 10.1080/09588221.2020.1825095
- Poole, R., Gnann, A, Hahn-Powell, G. (2019) Epistemic stance and the construction of knowledge in science writing: A diachronic corpus study. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 42(19).
- Poole, R. & Spangler, S. (2019). “Eco this and recycle that”: An ecolinguistic analysis of a popular digital simulation game. Critical Discourse Studies, 17 (3), 344-357.
- Poole, R. (2018). Using Corpora: A Guide for English Language Learners. Edinburgh University Press.
- Kraut, R. & Poole, R. (2017). In their own words: Chinese EFL teachers’ attitudes towards CLT. Asian EFL Journal, 19 (4).
- Poole, R. (2017). “New opportunities” and “strong performance”: Evaluative adjectives in letters to shareholders and potential for pedagogically-downsized specialized corpora. English for Specific Purposes Journal, 47, 41-50.
- Poole, R. (2017). Ecolinguistics, GIS, and corpus linguistics for the analysis of the Rosemont Copper Mine debate. Environmental Communication. Available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17524032.2016.1275735
- Poole, R. (2016). A corpus-aided ecological discourse analysis of the Rosemont Copper Mine debate of Arizona, USA. Discourse and Communication, 10 (6), 576-595.
- Poole, R. (2016). A corpus-aided approach for the teaching and learning of rhetoric in an undergraduate composition course for L2 writers. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 21, 99-109.
- Poole, R. (2016). Good times, bad times: A keyword analysis of the letters to the shareholders of two fortune 500 banks. International Journal of Business Communication, 53(1), 55-73.